Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Blue Home

Far from having a gloomy aspect, I can think of few rooms with a more festive case of the blues than those of M. Faré's apartment in the rue Faubourg St Honoré.
Decorator Marcel Bouhébent has used exuberant blues and mauves with subtle tones
of grey, stone, and yellow whose overall effect makes me think of the beauty of a brillantly colored butterfly’s wing.
The talent of the illustrator communicates iridescence.


What a welcoming place to come home.
The furnishings are covered in suede, the curtains lined with cream colored satin, drawings by Cocteau exhibit the graceful contours of the hand; this was the home of a maître gantier whose gloves were appreciated by the haute couture.


The jardin d'hiver is paved with pebbles, as is the adjoining terrace.
Its ceiling stretched with canvas to match the seating and recall the carpet of the other rooms.

Pour le plaisir des yeux.


illustrations by Pierre Mourgue
from Plaisir de France, 1943

13 comments:

  1. A beautiful place, beautifully illustrated. Blue - I couldn't but help like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cobalt blue on porcelain, but living with big doses of blue (blue carpet, blue ceiling) would well, make me blue. In my mind, why be blue when one could be red? Happy new years, le style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HbD: Hmmm, could it be that this appeals because I'm already surrounded by red? But not the "mean, nasties...." A very happy new year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted a blue room but somehow started out in life with greens and never made it. Beautiful illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue - and spunky! These are utterly elegant, but with that extra something. You may have yours yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore what the illusrator has accomplished in giving us the feel of the essence of the home!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmmm i'm ambivalent about blue but less so about that jardin d'hiver. that, i will take in a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are such lovely interiors! Now I want to add blue to every room in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just right for me-the use of lavender is one of the things I like most. Just imagine the spaces today without the carpet wall to wall and it would sing in the World of Interiors. pgt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah the dying art of watercolor.

    I just painted an upstairs bedroom lilac with brilliant blue and navy accents -- lamps, dresser, ticking!

    ReplyDelete